MSSL BOD MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday, November 24, 2020
Meeting called to order at 12:15 pm by Speaker Mr. Skidmore. All voting members present with guests Ed Nicholls, Ted Bennett, Dan Krepich and Steve Baranick. Mr. Hustead did not attend.
1. Motion made by Mr. Sennett with a second by Mr. Fisher to approve the previous meeting minutes with an amendment to show that the 1-1 count was discussed but not approved. Vote was 7-0 for approval of amended minutes. Motion passed.
2. Mr. Skidmore presented the October financial report. Current account has $7,143.20. Expenditures were for field equipment and gift cards. The gift cards were for Jerry Callahan for the work he did in researching and converting the MSSL to our new website and to Mike Coltharp for building the league’s new scoreboards. Motion for approval by Mr. Quigley with a second by Mr. Sennett. Vote was 7-0. Motion passed.
3. Mr. Skidmore, on behalf of the Board and the League, thanked Mr. Fuhrmann for the idea, production and purchase of the signs for Ed Hustead and Rex Finley that are now permanently displayed at Wheatfield Park on Fields 1 and 3 respectively. The Board and the League would also like to thank Richard Sandoval for providing the audio equipment and getting the city proclamation by Mayor Bill Zimmermann, Carlos Kurianski for the installation of the signs, Jack Buss for bringing the pizza, Brian Crozier for taking and posting the event pictures, and Kent Skidmore for hosting as the Master of Ceremonies.
4. Ballots are prepared for the Board of Directors election. Date to be determined.
1. Discussed two possible rule changes for the 2021 Spring Season.
a. Starting with a 1-1 count. No motion made.
b. Playing the seven inning games as 2 –2 – 1 – 1 – 1. Further discussion needed.
2. Discussed Joe Hansell’s well thought out and written safety memo. Further discussion deferred to MSSL 2021 Spring Season.
3. Need to purchase two (2) new banners for Wheatfield Park. Approximate cost is $40 each. Assistant Commissioner Gene Dick to be the new contact person for the MSSL. League sign at the entrance to the parking lot will be changed as well. Motion made by Mr. Fuhrmann with a second by Mr. Quigley to make the purchases and the change at a cost not-to-exceed $200. Vote was 7-0. Motion passed.
4. Discussed number of players for 2021 MSSL Spring Season. If we have to start at Discovery Park, with just the one field, we have to limit the league to eight (8) teams of thirteen players each or 104 players, unless we add more teams. MSSL players will be given first priority followed by non-MSSL players that have been participating in the Bootleg League. If there are still spots available for the draft, players from the Monday League, Hemet League, Fallbrook League, etc. will be invited to join. Anyone not in the draft can join the Sub list.
5. Steve Baranick made a presentation asking the MSSL to pay $160 for the Bootleg League’s paid umpires. A motion was made by Mr. Quigley with a second by Mr. Sennett to approve the $160 expense. Vote was two (2) in favor to five (5) against. Mr. Quigley and Mr. Sennett were the two (2) affirmative votes. Motion did not pass. It was suggested that donations be collected from the players to cover the remaining costs of the paid umpires. Mr. Sennett said he would work with the managers and get the collections.
6. No date was set for the next meeting.
7. Motion to adjourn by Mr. Fuhrmann with a second by Mr. Quigley. Vote was 7-0. Motion passed.
Minutes submitted by Mr. Fuhrmann