Minutes of MSSL Board of Directors Meeting November 4, 2021
Meeting called to order at 12:31 PM by Speaker Dan Krepich.
All board members and Commissioner Bob Fuhrmann were present, except for Robb Braun.
- The board reviewed the minutes from the prior meeting. Jeff made a motion to accept the minutes and Ted seconded the motion. Vote was 6 to 0, minutes accepted.
- The board discussed the Treasurer’s Report and the FY 2022 budget. The current funds are $9,680 and the projected FY 2022 expenses are $8,314. The projected expenses include funds for the annual MSSL picnic to be held in late spring 2022. Motion by Bob C to accept the Treasurer’s report. Jeff seconded the motion. The board unanimously voted to accept the Treasurer’s report 6 to 0.
- The board discussed a suggested change to the pinch runner rule to allow pinch runners only immediately after the at bat is over. The current rule allows for pinch runners at any time. The board took no action.
- The board discussed the possibility of implementing a Designated Hitter (DH) rule to allow players to get an at bat without playing a position in the field. After some discussion, Bob C made a motion to forego implementing a DH rule for now. Ted seconded the motion. The board voted in favor of not implementing a DH rule for now. The vote was 5 to 1. However, Jeff Millard agreed to write up a formal suggestion and draft a Designated Hitter rule for consideration by the board at the next board meeting.
- Bob gave his commissioner’s report. We expect to have 3 to 5 new players on Monday (11/8). We have 18 dozen Rock softballs on order. However, they will likely not arrive until April 2022. We currently have plenty of Stote softballs on hand. The written commissioner’s report will come out later this week.
- The board discussed changes to the schedule to accommodate the major tournaments. The discussion included the possibility of relaxing substitution rules during tournament weeks, organizing our own mini tournaments for those players not involved in outside tournaments, not scheduling games on tournament days, or making no changes to the current scheduling. The board decided to defer action on this item till the next board meeting.
- The board also discussed whether to set the number of players on a team at 11 or 12 for the next draft. The board deferred a decision on this to the next board meeting. The board also determined that it would not be feasible to offer the option of paying league fees using PayPal.
- The board agreed to schedule the next meeting for December 16, 2021, after the tournament games scheduled for that day are complete.
- At this point Bob C motioned to adjourn. Ted seconded the motion, and the board voted to adjourn (6 to 0). The meeting adjourned at approx. 2:05 PM
- Determine which softballs are officially approved by SSUSA (other than Rock). Bob F
- Assess effect of the time change on sun position for the fields currently in use. Bob F
- Locate charts that use team maximum roster sizes to determine how many teams we should have in a season based on total number of players in the draft. Bob F
- Check on Facilities for the League picnic. Bob F
- Solicit ideas from managers on how to make the manager’s job more appealing. Board
MSSL League Secretary